Words in the Park
WATCH THIS PAGE FOR MORE INFORMATION, PICTURES, AND WRAP UP COMMENTS FOR 2016. SEE YOU IN 2017!
WORDS IN THE PARK ~ BOOK SALE & FAIR
A CELEBRATION OF COMMUNITY CULTURE
The Writers Foundation of Strathcona County invites you to join us for Words in the Park 2016.
We celebrate the 9th year in conjunction with Alberta Culture Days as we team up again with the Arts & Culture Council of Strathcona County to bring the book fair to you as part of the arts & culture display and celebration. Celebrate your community and its amazing creative diversity and heritage. Be a part of the festivities - join us for free family fun.
Saturday October 1st - 10:00 am - 4:00 pm in the Sherwood Park Community Centre AGORA
Photographers ~ artists ~ potters ~ weavers ~ singers ~ musicians ~ authors ~ illustrators ~ writers ~ designers ~ publishers ~ printers ~ crafters ~ storytellers ~ dancers ~ actors ~ volunteers ~ organizations ~ small business
COUNTDOWN TO CULTURE DAYS FUN!
CULTURAL STAGE ENTERTAINMENT:
10:00 am - 10:30 am TBA
11:00 am - 11:30 am TBA
12:00 pm - 12:30 pm - Dahlia Wakefield
1:00 pm - 1:30 pm - TBA
2:00 pm - 2:30 pm - N Gary Thomas & Kelsey Hoople
3:00 pm - 3:30 pm - TBA
AUTHOR READING CORNER: Scheduled readings will be booked throughout the day in a corner of the venue that will allow direct connection between the author and their audience, but still allow them to be part of the fun. We won't be separating out the readings from the whole venue OR including them on the big stage. This interactive, intimate setting - LOOK FOR THE GREEN CANOPY - will provide a designated area and time for readings. This is a cultural celebration - it is not a quiet networking event as there is something happening all the time to keep participants engaged and to encourage the public to stay with us to enjoy interactive festivities.
INTERACTIVE WORKSHOPS: Take time out of the big event to participate in selected classroom sessions. Watch this post for updates as sessions are booked.
Location: Meeting Room #1 Community Centre from noon until 4:00 pm.
- 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm >> TBA
- 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM >> Your Lifetime of Stories - writing your memoirs can be easier if you take these tips and tricks provided by the Writers Foundation of Strathcona County. Learn to select smaller focus areas in order to reduce the chance of being overwhelmed, which leads to giving up. Session to be led by: Beth Rowe, Your Lifetime of Stories Program Coordinator. Workbook sheets and handouts available. Purchase the workbook for $10.00 Culture Days Special (Reg. $14.95).
- 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm >> Drumming Workshop
- 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm >> TBA
CHILDREN'S INTERACTIVE AREA: The next generation of authors, artists, dancers, musicians, and other artisans are influenced by exposure to current creativity. Check out the different table displays for children's activities throughout the day - storytelling, games, coloring sheets, or other craft activities to promote literacy and the arts. Children's authors will provide book sales and watch the Author's Reading Corner for children's interactive storytelling.
- NGT Music's Gary Thomas provides instrumental fun! Check in with Gary to try your hand at something musical from 10:00 am - 4:00 pm in the main AGORA area. Be sure to check out Gary's muscial performance on stage, too!
- Artist Katherine Restouiex provides festive fun for everyone at her arts & craft table from 10:00 am - 4:00 pm in the main AGORA area. She is featured in author Alison Neuman's children's books - Don't Eat Family and Help From Friends. Purchase your signed copy!
- Children's author, Tom Dirsa, will an interactive session at his table during the day and watch for his reading in the Author Reading Corner, too!
FIND IT FUN! Pick up your FIND IT FUN GAME CARD when you come to the event. Check out the displays throughout the AGORA and get stamps or stickers from participating authors or vendors to fill your card. Deposit it in the draw box at the Writers Foundation of Strathcona County display table for a chance to win an amazing prize! One card per person - the draw will be made on Saturday October 1st at 3:45 pm.
FOOD TRUCK AND REFRESHMENTS: Make a day of it at the AGORA! Coffee, tea, and water is provided complimentary for your enjoyment. A food menu to satisfy the hungry event participant provided by: JUNGLE HUT EXPRESS FOOD TRUCK (Lamont AB). Visit them on the East Plaza parking lot for menus and pricing. Check out their Facebook Page.
COMMUNITY SUPPORT & SPONSOR PROGRAM:
The Writers Foundation of Strathcona County (WFSC) is a not for profit society whose mandate involves promotion and support for the literary arts in Strathcona County (and beyond). Our vision encompasses more than just words and writing to include all arts and culture - our county is rich with diverse creativity and we are proud to be part of such an amazing place. Words in the Park is an annual event now supported wholly by the WFSC under the auspices of our community program initiatives and is one of our annual signature events. In 2015, the year was a big one as we moved the event to be held in conjunction with Alberta Culture Days and combine local efforts with the Arts & Culture Council of Strathcona County to promote a celebration of culture.
The WFSC organization is run by a volunteer board of directors and, with local support, we give back to the community under the terms of our registered Alberta non-profit society status. If you are able to donate to our event, all sponsors will be acknowledged with:
- mention at the event on the culture stage
- logo and/or name on advertising and promotion (web site, posters, ads, social media, etc.)
- option to provide promotional material for display and/or distribution to participants
- all levels appreciated - $50 General, $100 Bronze, $250 Silver, $500 Gold, $1,000 Platinum
To sponsor the WFSC please contact us via email at email@example.com and the WFSC Board will provide any documentation you require (letter of intent, invoice, receipts, etc.) Thank you for supporting Words in the Park and the Writers Foundation of Strathcona County.
To contribute online today - please use the DONATE button on the front page of our web site. Thank you!
For more information - please email the WFSC at firstname.lastname@example.org SUBJECT: Words in the Park